Concerning items of interest

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Short ride / Shostakovich 10

I was able to ride 18 miles today. It was pretty cold (less than 30 F) the entire ride and there was a bit of wind, but at least the sun was out. I found a fire hydrant that matched my bike and also a neat sign for a photo.
sign
This evening I went to the St Louis Symphony concert. On the program was Nielsen's Clarinet Concerto, and Shostakovich's 10th symphony. The Nielsen was good. The Shostakovich was amazing! Seeing a symphony like that live is an almost overwhelming experience. After the concert I listened to part of the symphony on my iPod on the way to my car. Classical music is meant to be heard live. Recordings do not adequately convey the scope, depth, and warmth of a live orchestra in a good hall. There are some pretty neat youtube videos of this symphony, but the sound quality is even worse than listening on an ipod.

One funny thing about the concert: the score calls for two piccolos. The first piccolo player was the fattest man in the whole orchestra and the second piccolo player sitting next to him was the smallest woman in the orchestra. The man was probably four times the size of the woman next to him and the juxtaposition was comical. Ha!

Photobucket

It was nice of the city to match the paint on the fire hydrants to the paint of my bike.

2 comments:

raina said...

its funny that in all your a.d.d. glory :), you're riding along doo-doo-doo and "oh hey, that fire hydrant is the exact same color as my bitchin' bike! let's take a picture." resume bike ride, whistling....i can totally picture it.

AaronLYoung said...

I'm glad you read my blog. I think you may be the only one besides myself who does. :)

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon