Concerning items of interest

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Bent Bike

I picked up this Trek 620 back in St Louis with high hopes to build it up into my main bike. The advantage I saw over my current Trek 400 was mostly the cantilever brakes (more clearance for tires + fenders) and more braze-ons for rack mounting. The nice old lady I bought it from did mention her husband had crashed it once injuring his knee, but the bike was unscathed. OR SO I THOUGHT! Check out the picture and you can see the tubes are slightly bent just past the lugs.
bent

And here is the worst shot I took, but it shows the bottom bulge better than the others:

lower bent

I was utterly disappointed when first I found the lump on the bottom tube. I think I now understand how it feels to one day in the shower discover a strange new lump on a testicle (or breast for all you females). I have to admit the old lady seller likely didn't know about it and didn't purposefully deceive me. But this experience has made me almost resolve to swear off all elderly women entirely!


Lesson to be gleaned here: please tell me in the comments what lesson I should learn. And please make it funny, because I can't be expected to come up with all the comedy all the time. Those of you who know me will surely understand how true that statement is.

On a happier note, I finally got around to fitting a tire in the 400 with the fenders installed. I had to drop down to the 700 x 28 Panaracer Pasela TG tire. I do miss the extra cush of the 700 x 32's but the 28's aren't that bad if the psi is around 75 or 80 instead of over 100. So here's what the 400 looks like now all enfendered.



When I put the fenders on I removed the front rack, but for a while there this bike really looked like a good randoneering bicycle. Someday I hope to do a few brevets, but until then I'll have to live my long-distance dreams vicariously through my sister's marathon training. Go Diana!

2 comments:

... said...

I don't want the burden of being funny either...so you get no humor in this comment.
Bummer on the old lady pulling the wool over your eyes. I dare say you just got served.
I would also like to say that I am a little jealous of your bike. That thing means business.
AND! Her name is Diane. Not Diana. You obviously didn't get the memo. She loves Diane best.

Josh said...

The lesson to be learned is that no matter how old or senile you get you can always find ways to screw someone younger.

Instead of buying old bikes and fixing them you should just turn my bike into a mac daddy biking machine. I promise not to violate your trust, other than in subtle ways that we agree on before hand.

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon